Dawson Memorial Baptist Church has MANY, MANY, MANY opportunities for you to serve and assist in the tornado disaster relief efforts. Email Ben Hale firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Disaster Relief—How to Help
Dawson’s response to tornado emergency
1. DONATE NEEDED ITEMS -
Beginning today (May1) and going through this Wednesday evening you can donate items (during office hours) to meet the needs of tornado victims. Bring the items to the collection table under the crosswalk to the North Building. Please bring “only” these items.
• Hygiene kits: place these items in gallon zip lock bags; soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, bath cloth
• Trash bags - (Large, heavy duty)
• Bottled Water - Individuals & gallon jugs
• Sports Drinks
• Coolers - (Ice chest)
• Power Bars & Pre-Packaged snack items
• Work Gloves
2. SIGN UP TO SERVE - You can sign up to serve in the foyer for these opportunities or you can sign up by e-mailing Ben Hale at email@example.com.
• Volunteers are needed to staff our collection table beginning Monday (May 2) through Wednesday evening.
• Volunteers are needed to deliver donated items to collection centers each day.
• Volunteers are needed to help organize meals for 150 people over a several day period. Volunteers will organize help prepare/organize the meals and deliver them to the disaster relief staging area.
• Volunteers are needed to host a team from Samaritan’s Purse that may be located and temporarily live at Dawson’s church campus. Details are not confirmed at this point.
• We need volunteers that can use chain saws and clean up yards in Cahaba Heights. We need crew chiefs, chain saw operators, and general helpers to drag bush to the street.
3. GENERAL VOLUNTEERS -
If you would like to work this week (Monday-Saturday) as a general volunteer you can go to Central Park Baptist Church’s main sanctuary at 9:00 am each morning this week and they will assign you an area of service. The church address is 1900 43rd Street Ensley, Birmingham, AL 35208.
4. RECEPTIONIST - Birmingham Baptist Association needs a few volunteers to answer a phone at their office to write down needs as people call in. Contact John Hayes at 205-616-3482.
5. YOU CAN GIVE FINANCIALLY - You can contribute to the disaster relief effort by giving to Dawson. Indicate the purpose of your gifts, “Disaster Relief”, on your check. All gifts will be distributed to the Alabama Baptist State Convention’s Disaster Relief Fund.